BUY HAUNTED SKIES VOLS 1-5 (UK customers only - if you live outside the UK please email for details)

Click on the Book Cover to buy each volume

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

HAUNTED SKIES BLOG: 30th July 2012

I am pleased to tell you that I have nearly completed sorting out the errors in Volume 6 (the Jubilee edition) and I have managed to obtain one or two promised photos, and it’s all looking good. Jon is busy preparing for the forthcoming Weird Weekend and has recently published Kevin Goodman’s Warminster Cradle of Contact. Well done, Kevin. It’s great to see it on sale... and thanks for your work on YouTube marketing the books!

Other news:

From Dave Hodrien


To all,

As you have previously been informed, Birmingham UFO Group is organizing a sky watch on the evening of Saturday 28th July at Cannock Chase. It looks like the weather’s going to be on our side, but whatever happens it’s sure to be a night of great UFO-related banter! There has been a high level of interest in the sky watch, so it should be a good turn out. You are more than welcome to join us whether you are a BUFOG member or not.

Initial Meet Up Point: The bar in The Barns, Cock Sparrow Lane, Cannock WS12 4PBTime: Around 8pm onwards (Don’t worry if you’re late we will be there a good while)Sky watch location: Just off Broadhurst Green Road, Teddesley Hay, WS12 4PBTime: Sunset till whenever we decide to head for home.

For maps & photos of locations see the Events & Lectures page of our website at

Hope to see you there!

Dave Hodrien BUFOG Chairman/Investigator

From Don Ramkin, our London Correspondent for Haunted Skies:
Sighting of Three strange orbs in the sky over London
Craig came in from work just now and said the guy that works with him just happened to mention he was watching 3 strange orbs in the sky that were fascinating him, and that he'd gone on the internet to see if he could find anything and happened across other recordings (taken between 2011/12)) but he said the orbs were exactly what he'd been watching Sunday just gone in Chislehurst.

I tried to find anything, and all I got was this, but if you actually Google ‘orbs over Tower Bridge’ or ‘orbs over London 2012’ you do get results.

From Lizzie Abbott, Assistant Producer, Pioneer Productions
32 Galena Road London W6 0LTTel: 020 8748 0888

Dear John,
It was good to talk with you earlier on a subject I find fascinating, thank you for calling. I attach a list of the UFO cases we are covering and would appreciate it if you would cast your eye over them and let me know which ones are familiar to you. Thank you also for the book covers, looks like we're in for a good edition!

From Susanne Taggart, The KTPF Community Show
Forthcoming talk with her. Wednesday the 8th of August at 9pm

Dear Mr. Hanson
You can go to and here some of our previous shows

My name is Susanne Taggart and along with my husband Steve we run a fairly small online radio programme for want of a better word, entitled The KTPF Community Show, for Those Interested in the Supernatural, Paranormal or any type of Unusual Phenomena.

We try to incorporate a wide spectrum of this fascinating subject, with Live Interactive Chats and Interviews with Special Guests, discussing various areas of the Paranormal, Ufological, Cryptozoological etc. Plus introducing other Paranormal Groups as they share their own experiences. A little voice trying to promote Keeping The Paranormal Friendly by sharing and talking about various topics. Therefore we were wondering if you would consider joining us one Wednesday evening and be willing to take questions from our listeners via the chat room, either via Skype or phone, unless you happen to be in the Manchester area whereas you could be Live on the show. We try to cover as much of the Paranormal as possible and as yet we have not had anybody talk about UFO’s, so if you can help, we would be grateful .We have this week and 1st August sorted but on the 8th August we hope to have Mark Rosney in to talk about his current work on an article about a supposed message from space beings called the 'Ashtar Command' which bled over the broadcast signal of five TV transmitters in the South West back in 1977 plus other related stuff.

From David Bryant our Haunted Skies ambassador in Norwich
Re Canadian MOD Minister of Defense tells all

I see the former Canadian Air Force Defense Minister, disclosed during a recent talk at an ex-politics meeting, that the US has known about Visitors from other Planets and that quote" Some of our planes were shot down by them, and that we are using alien technology" He claims that the 'Aliens' did not take offensive action in shooting down our aircraft,- rather the fault of the pilots who failed to recognize the danger of getting to close to the magnetic fields that surround UFOs.

I never know what to make of this..........but believe the likelihood that on some occasions aircraft have been downed by interaction with these objects.

I’m not even sure that it is safe to suggest that their actions are benevolent rather than the opposite although if ‘they’ wanted to wage war against us it would be short one.

Such matters may be far removed from a race of apparent non human intelligence that may not be as far advanced as we believe.

Our biggest problem with trying to deal with any of this is applying human traits of behaviour such as rationality and logic to something that is probably timeless and has been here for a long time now. Ironically ‘they’ may have more claims to this Planet that we do!

I salute the courage of people like him, but the problem is the lack of evidence to substantiate his claims, however valid they may appear to be. Its always going to be a no win situation, unless something major breaks………. Having said that I believe Disclosure as to the existence of a UFO Phenomena will come within the next 10-15years……………Although they said the same thing in 1947!! Time will tell.

A farmer from Devon that I met at Duxford has sent me a photo he took of an apparent UFO some years back: there were multiple witnesses (you can see his late father looking at it in the original pic!)

Aircraft disaster over County Wexford
Likewise we never intended that our next report would be from Ireland, but our interest was aroused after coming across brief details found in edition 3 of the The ILLUMINER dated November/December 1970 published by the South West Aerial Phenomena Investigation Group under the heading ‘DID UFO CAUSE PLANE CRASH? Quote:-

The crash of an Irish ‘Viscount’ aircraft off the coast of Wexford two years ago remains unsolved, following the publication in September of a report by the Department of Transport and Power, concerning official investigations into the disaster.

But Mr Martin Feeney a member of the Catleblayney Urban Council is convinced that the ‘Aer Lingus crash was the result of an encounter with an unidentified flying object’. He claims that people who saw the incident had reported a revolving cloud in the vicinity of the aircraft and this indicated a UFO. ‘I’ve made a very close study of air disasters and various aspects of the crash indicate that the plane came into contact with another force.’

Prior to this article we had no knowledge of this incident at all, but were understandably curious to check out why and where this allegation had come from, taking into consideration that 61 souls had lost their lives.

This was not the first time we had come across an allegation that a UFO had caused the demise of an aircraft. The instances included a report of a UFO seen just before a civilian airliner had crashed over Surrey back in the 1960s, which led to speculation in the media, who suggested a connection.

Our subsequent retrieval of the C.A.A. file revealed that faulty instrumentation had caused the crash. On another occasion a shining object was sighted close to a RAF Jet from RAF Valley which crashed after striking power cables. We believed the witnesses had most likely misidentified high tension power cables severed in the air. So why should this case be any different?

The Incident

On the 24th March 1968 a Vickers Viscount 803 ‘St. Phelim’, flight 712 left Cork Airport at 10.32 hours for London with 61people on board including a crew of four captained by Captain Bernard 'Barney' O'Beirne, (35) and his First Officer Paul Heffernan, (22)

There were 29 witnesses to the event that unfolded and of these; only two were eye-witnesses of the final crash.

Between 10.45 and 11.15am a witness at Fethard-on-Sea saw “an aeroplane come through three small black clouds, as if fired out of them, descending and unsteady. The aeroplane then went off in a southerly direction.

Between 10.45am and 11.05am a witness described seeing an “aeroplane, with the nose and portion of the wing enveloped in a small dark cloud, which travelled along with the aeroplane, ‘swirling’ and heard a noise like thunder. The cloud "looked about the size of a large hayshed". The aeroplane was seen to head off South East towards Saltees.

Between 1055.and 11am Ten people near Broadway village heard a loud noise like sharp roll of thunder; one heard a double clap like thunder from Tuskar Rock direction

At 10.58.10 London Radar intercepted a call "Twelve thousand feet descending spinning rapidly".

It was said following investigations into the air accident that:-

Consideration must be given to the possibility of EI-AOM, having descended over the sea in a spin or spiral dive, and then having been restored to a degree of controlled flight, then flying westward and appearing over Fethard-on-Sea in the period between 10.45 and 11.15 G.M.T. (11.45-12.15 local time) and then turning south east out to sea near Hook Head, and flying back over the sea to east of the Tuskar Rock, before crashing into the sea.

If these events took place, the aeroplane would have had to travel a total of over 60 miles in the period- between 10.58 and 11.10 or 11.15 hrs. I.e. in 12-17 minutes, at least at 212 mph. The actual air mileage would be greater than 60 miles since the flight path could not have been just straight out and back between some point near the Tuskar Rock to Fethard-on-Sea and return. The fact that no witnesses on land between Fethard-on-Sea and Greenore Point saw the Viscount indicates that if it did fly between these points it was well out to sea.

It is extremely unlikely, though not impossible, for the aeroplane to have been flown at a speed of over 200 mph in the disabled condition resulting from having been brought out of the spin or spiral dive. During this period, no communication whatever was received from the aircraft. If the aeroplane had been capable of being flown at or near its normal cruising speed, it is extremely difficult to account for the fact that no RIT signals were received after 10.58.10. From these considerations, it seems a reasonable assumption that EI-AOM was never in the neighbourhood of Fethard-on-Sea after 10.58, but that it did fly in a disabled condition for 10-15 minutes over the sea between Strumble and Tuskar.

It is clear from the evidence on the timing of events that in the extremely short period between the last exchange of communications with Shannon and the interception by London Airways of the signal "Twelve thousand feet descending spinning rapidly" a catastrophic upset was suffered by the aircraft which brought it from normal cruising at 17,000 feet in relatively good weather conditions to a situation which could have been either a fully developed spin or a spiral dive, 5,000 feet lower, losing height at an average rate of descent of over 120 feet/sec. If descent had continued at this rate the aircraft would have hit the sea in another 98.5 seconds, at

At 11.15 hrs (approximately) a witness considered very reliable was on shore, near Greenore Point. When he saw a large splash in the sea near the Tuskar Rock He gave a fairly firm estimate of the time, because he looked at a clock just before the incident. The clock has been checked and keeps good time, and is generally kept accurate to within one minute by reference to radio broadcast time signal. It is considered that the time he observed could have been 11.12 hrs. but not earlier.

There was no further communications with the aircraft and London ATC informed Shannon ATC they had no radio contact with EI-AOM. London ATC requested Aer Lingus Flight EI 362 (flying Dublin-Bristol) to search west of Strumble. This search at 500 ft (150 m) in good visibility saw nothing.

At 11.25 a full alert was declared.

By 12.36 there was a report of wreckage sighted at position 51º 57' N, 06º 10' W. Searching aircraft found nothing and the report was cancelled.

Aircraft and ships from the UK resumed the search the following day and "wreckage was sighted and bodies recovered" 6 nautical miles (11 km) north-east of Tuskar Rock with more wreckage scattered "for a further 6 nautical miles north-west". Thirteen bodies were recovered over the next few days. Another body was recovered later. The main wreckage was located on the sea bed by trawling 1.72 nautical miles (3.19 km) from Tuskar Rock at 39 fathoms. An investigation report was produced in 1970. A review was undertaken between 1998 and 2000.

About 60-65% of the aircraft (by weight) was recovered, and included the major parts of three engines, a few parts of the fourth, and all four propellers, the almost complete primary structure of the wings from tip to tip, and the fin and rudder. None of the wreckage displayed any evidence of fire or explosion. No part of the tail planes or elevators was recovered, with the exception of small portions of the spring tab and trim tab. The recovered wreckage revealed extensive damage to the whole structure, which virtually disintegrated.

Although the investigation into the crash lasted two years, a cause was never determined, contrary to popular speculation by some that the aircraft was shot down by a British experimental missile from Aberporth in West Wales.

Following an independent study commissioned in 2000 several witnesses came forward with evidence to support the missile theory, including a crew member of the British ship HMS Penelope who claimed that part of the wreckage recovered by HMS Penelope was secretly removed to the UK In 2002 a review process conducted by the AAIU (Air Accident Investigation Unit) disclosed that Aer Lingus paperwork relating to a routine maintenance inspection carried out on the aircraft in December 1967 was found to be missing in 1968.

In addition to this a large body of research carried out by the investigators after the accident regarding the maintenance operating plan used for EI-AOM and defects on the aircraft found during analysis of the maintenance records, was not referred to in the 1970 report.

Could the a chain of events caused crash?
A new board of investigation set up by the Irish government concluded that the crash was the consequence of a chain of events starting with a failure to the left tail-plane caused by metal fatigue, corrosion, flutter or a bird strike, with the most likely cause being a flutter-induced fatigue failure of the elevator trim tab operating mechanism.

Was it a collision with another aircraft?
Just to complicate matters in March 2007 retired RAF Squadron Leader Eric Evers previously chief flying instructor with the British military in RAF Little Rissington, made a claim that the accident was in fact caused by a mid-air collision between the Aer Lingus Vickers Viscount and a French-built military aircraft which was training with the Irish Air Corps .

Squadron Leader Evers maintains that he had evidence to prove that aFouga Magister trainer accidentally collided with the Aer Lingus aircraft as it was responding to a request to check the status of the Viscount's undercarriage, which had failed to lock in position correctly, but that, the two pilots in the trainer survived by ejecting and parachuting to safety.” Sqn Leader Evers claims that both the French and Irish authorities colluded in a subsequent cover-up, and the Fouga Magister wreckage may still be on the seabed off the Co Wexford coast.

An Irish Defence Forces spokesman described the claims of Squadron Leader Evers as "spurious" and said there was no evidence that an Irish Air Corps plane was in the vicinity at the time. The Fouga Magister did not "come into service" with the Irish Air Corps until 1976.

However he could not comment on why a Fouga Magister was listed as one of the Air Corps aircraft in service in 1968, (as stated in appendix 5.2.g of the 2002 report)

His claims have been disputed by Capt Mike Reynolds, retired sea captain and aviator and author of Tragedy at Tuskar Rock, published in 2003.

This was a matter that raised concerns at the highest levels which culminated in the Secretary of State for Defence Dr John Reid being asked if he had any knowledge of a second aircraft being seen at the time by Mr. Wigley to which he replied in the negative

The findings of the 2002 official report by French and Australian experts ruled out the possibility that the Viscount was hit by another aircraft or missile. They concluded that the cause may have been as a result of structural failure of the aircraft corrosion, metal fatigue, "flutter" or bird strike.

The aircraft was totally demolished by violent impact with the sea. It was not until 5th June 1968 that the main wreckage was located by an Irish trawler ("Glendalough" - Skipper W. Bates) and subsequently recovered by divers and salvage vessels of the Royal Navy, and by vessels of the Naval Service and Irish Fisheries Board (BIM). Additional wreckage was recovered by trawling by Skipper W. Bates 18 months after the crash. The wreckage after visual inspection on recovery was transported by Army vehicles to the headquarters of the Air Corps, Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel, where the airframe components were assembled in a hangar on a timber frame, as closely as possible in their correct relationship to each other.

We know from the occasional publicity given to Air disasters by the media that in many cases the cause of the aircrafts fall from the sky is not initially apparent, but that following a meticulous investigation sometimes lasting years an explanation will be found- not in this case.

This was in broad daylight -the weather was not temperamental, - no sever turbulence listed,- It wasn’t ice on the wings as the aircraft was at 17000ft,- No bad weather or thunderstorms plotted,-it appears unlikely that it was pilot error,- they didn’t appear to run out of fuel and contrary to public speculation we don’t believe the airplane was struck by a missile, (if we accept that the missile testing stations were closed on that day being Sunday).

Was it a missile or UFO?
We don’t know what lies behind the mysterious demise of this aircraft and its crew; we would be the first to accept that there may well be a rational and logical explanation – for all we know. The eye witness accounts are strange indeed. Was the plane hit by a missile? Or could it have been a UFO. We shall never know but wish to praise the courage of the Crew and its passengers, they deserve an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment